Friday, July 27, 2012

Advanced Drawing (Spring 2012)

I can't believe I'm only going into my Junior year and I'm already done with drawing. It feels weird. But I'm hoping to take an independent study sometime. It wasn't until halfway through the semester that I realized my love for surrealism. Ultimately my goal is to do more drawings like the fish drawing below. It feels like a good starting point and I have a few more ideas up my sleeve - now I just need the time and motivation to put them onto paper.

Two models. 

Some Mayan(?) artifact, a shoe, and a stick. 

Portrait of a model, Erin, who I've been drawing
since freshman year. She's an excellent model. 

Statue of a female body. 

"Glass Jar" - we each took a jar and filled it with all sorts of stuff,
tight enough so nothing would move. We then chose a section of it
to draw. Definitely a fun project. 

"Meet Me By the Fish" - This is certainly my favorite piece of the semester. The location is on campus, and the actual sculpture there is called "Textor Ball" or "The Fish" (it's a metallic ball). I never really liked the abstract sculpture, so I decided to make a rendition of my own. The fish fossil is Dunkleosteus, the turtle has solar panels on its shell, and the hermit crabs have trees on their shells. Call it a mixture between fantasy and reality...the image that I'm trying to depict is a hopeful future where animals adapt to the growing pressures of the environment. 

Dress-up model - wish I had time to finish this :(

"Labels" - final project. Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish this either. The project was about using found objects (i.e. cardboard) so I decided to take that concept and combine it with the model planned for the last couple days of class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment